Date:      Tue, 02 Jun 1998 08:17:38 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Chrisy Luke <chrisy@flix.net>
Cc:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, Paul Emerson <paul@gta.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipv6 network addresses

> However, as I understood it, IPv6 addresses will be relatively
> freely available (as compared to IPv4) and so anyone that suspects they
> may need to renumber sometime in the future can get them from day one,
> without the requirement of being multihomed or any such.

The availability of addresses has nothing to do with the likelyhood of
having to renumber.  Provider-based addressing is pervasive these days so
that the global Internet routing table doesn't explode in size.  The
size of the routing table is of very much more concern than running out
of address space.  And it's just not the amount of memeory needed (pretty
much all of the Cisco routers in the default-free part of the Internet
have 64MB, mostly 128MB of memory), but the amount of processing required
to handle the routing updates.  Aggregating a bunch of prefixes means
that external to the AS, you don't see the instability of any single
network; this reduces the "churn" in the routing table which is also of
concern.

So, NAT is a convienience to those behind the translation, as they can
change providers without having to renumber all their machines, and it
enables them to easily use address space out of a provider block, which
help keep the routers from exploding.

There are some approaches suggested in IPv6 (the so-called 8+8 addressing
scheme) which aims to address this problem; essentially, you take a part
of the 16 byte address and use it as a provider/AS selector.  It can
be changed on the fly by routers and is not used as part of identifing the
endpoint.  This would allow renumbering and aliasing of addresses, which
would help significantly if you were multihomed.  Alas, this is not yet
an intergral part of the IPv6 architecture or fielded implementations.

louie