Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:56:40 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Robert Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, yurtesen@ispro.net.tr
Subject:   Re: processes cant be killed?

> Did you try kill -9 7991?

> hello,
> I have 2 processes and I am not able to kill them
> what is the problem? I have heard about the zombie processes
> are these that kind of processes? (well I do not have any clue
> about what is a zombie process. Where can I learn it from?)
>
> root  7991  0.0  0.0 45044    0  p1- D<E  -         0:00.00  (pico)
> root  8026  0.0  0.0 40088    0  p0- DE   -         0:00.00  (ee)
>
> Evren

kill -9 won't work.  Read the ps manual page and you'll see under a
discussion of process states:

             D       Marks a process in disk (or other short term, uninter-
                     ruptible) wait.

Note the word _uninterruptible_.  It'll just ignore all those little
signals you're sending to it until it gets the resource it wants.  There
is a way to get some idea of what its looking for but I can't remember the
exact details (search the mailing lists).  You should also note that the
'E' in the state indicates the process is trying to exit (i.e. its doing
its best to die anyway!).

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083