Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 10:50:50 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com (Brett Glass)
Cc:        hdalog@zipnet.net, davidg@Root.COM, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot after install

Brett Glass stands accused of saying:

> The heads still retract, though. It'd be good to turn power management off,
> and turn off prefetches at the same time. If Linux can do it, surely
> FreeBSD can.

The two are seperate issues.  As I've already mentioned, turning prefetch off
in the kernel may be _too_late_.  You should do it in the BIOS.

Note that there are some interesting comments in the ATA spec I was referring
to regarding power-saving modes.  Basically, the "lowest" a drive is allowed
to go without an explicit command should still respond, as per normal, to
commands, however response may be delayed by up to 30 seconds.  If your
drive is responding with an error condition (indicating that it's gone
into 'sleep' mode), it is violating the spec.

> --Brett
>
> P.S. -- Am still trying to diagnose that arplookup failure. Why might the
> system be attempting to do an ARP on a system that isn't even on the local
> net? And that isn't named anywhere in the network configuration files?

You may have routed running; turn it off in /etc/sysconfig.