Date:      Sat, 6 May 2000 15:35:17 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: category for xdrawchem

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 05:29:34AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Should a "scientific" category be created, as I think it must, it would be
> defined as only being appropriate for ports which don't have a more
> specific category. In other words, even though lang ports are part of
> computer science are part of science, they match the lang category first
> and go there.

This seems like the right way to do things, although I'd prefer the name
"science" to "scientific". I would suggest moving everything in biology/*
to science/ as well as any science-related ports in misc. Things relating
to computer science, etc. should go in their more specific categories.

I don't like the idea of having a category for each of the basic "general"
science disciplines like "chemistry", "biology", "physics", etc. because
they would just add to the repository bloat due to the lack of UNIX
programs actually existing in this form, which I doubt will change much
in the next five years. By then I imagine the ports collection will be much
more efficient and workable.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>