Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:05:00 +0100
From:      Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Package integrity check?

Hello.

Is there any way to perform an integrity check on packages that are fetched
with "pkg_add -r <packagename>"?

(Similarly to building a package manually with a trusted /usr/ports and
checksumming downloaded files)

I assume there is no way to do integrity checking on packages, which
leads me to the question if the general opinion among the security
conscious is that packages (from untrusted parties, like any ftp site on
the mirror list) should not be used at all?

Markus

--

Markus Holmberg         |       Give me Unix or give me a typewriter.
markush@acc.umu.se      |       http://www.freebsd.org/