Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:20:32 -0700
From:      Mark Atkinson <atkin901@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/132418: Kernel not detect time-of-day clock [regression]

Kostik Belousov wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:01:40AM -0700, Mark Atkinson wrote:
>> kib@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>> > Synopsis: Kernel not detect time-of-day clock [regression]
>> >
>> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
>> > State-Changed-By: kib
>> > State-Changed-When: Sun Mar 8 15:24:39 UTC 2009
>> > State-Changed-Why:
>> >

>> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=132418
>>
>> Any reason why this was closed?  I have a box with this problem as well
>> in -current.
>
> I mis-managed vi session, thus no reason for close was recorded. Check
> that your /boot/device.hints is properly merged, in particular, look for
> the hints for real-time clock.

Actually, it appears to be a 'real' (maybe procedural) problem.   Copying
sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC.hints to /boot/device.hints will create this
situation.   If you use sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.hints instead, then it will
find the time of day clock.

It seems like adm64/conf/GENERIC.hints is missing a hint for the time of day
clock.   I know there was a discussion on -arch a while back talking about
baring the hints file down to the minimum required.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.architechture/11893

---
Mark Atkinson
atkin901@yahoo.com