Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:16:10 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Natham <dak.col@gmail.com>, Lyle Miller <lm101ml@bellsouth.net>
Subject:   Re: Performance Issues on 6.3

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 18:56:15 Natham wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Lyle Miller <lm101ml@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Natham wrote:
> >  > Hi i have a server with four disk atached, 2 raid 0 and 2 raid 1. Im
> >  > getting a low performance on file trasfers  over network to windows
> >  > clients  i get only about 30MB/s. Looking at gstat i got both disk are
> >  > trasfering 15000kBps each over a gigabit connection(client and
> >  > server). How can improve performance for my data server?
> >
> >  i dont know if this will eventually help in your case .....
> >
> >  ... but ....
> >
> >  i noticed a link on www.freebsd.org under 'in the media'
> >
> >  look for 'squeeze your gigabit nic for top performance' dated 2007-10.
> >
> >  gl
>
> Yes, i did everything it recomends. Tahnk you

How to rule out the raid:
1) create a memory disk, in your case I'd go with 256MB if you can spare the
memory.
2) Put a file on it, size ~210MB (7 * 30MB/s, should give ample time to let
the transferrate go up)
3) share it via samba
4) Download it through one of the clients

If the transfer rate is still low, it's not the raid. Install a bandwidth
monitor then (net/bmon for example) and see if the traffic is actually higher
then the 30MB/s, eating the rest of your bandwidth, investigate samba issues,
switches, clients (are they really configured Gbit?).

If the transfer rate is much higher, you're pretty safe to assume it's a disk
issue.

Manpage to read:
mdconfig(8) - choose swap backed btw.
--