Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:30:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Yegor Sinelnikov <yegor@sbmp64.ess.sunysb.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Computer hangs after freebsd reboot

Dear list members,

We have just installed FreeBSD version 2.2.2 on a 486DX Cyrix machine
with 2.5 Gb disk. FreeBSD became a third OS in addition to previously
installed Windows NT 4.0 and DOS 6.0.

The instalation of FreeBSD was successfull. It works fine. But when we
reboot the computer from FreeBSD it hangs. It does not even go to the CMOS
hardware test and no single message is visible on the screen.

To make it work after FreeBSD we have to unplag the hard drive each time,
which makes the reboot process rather complicated operation. With unplaged
hard drive computer starts to boot, and by shutting it down again after
the memory test and pluging hard disk we return to the noraml operational
state. However, once booted to FreeBSD, starts all troubles again.

What could be the suggestions?

We did: compiled customized cernel with no extra drivers
        set disk geometry in CMOS to user defined
        disabled all cashing in CMOS

Is it critical that FreeBSD is installed in the last partition, below 1Gb?

What alse can be done? Please, share your expirience.

Yegor D. Sinelnikov             yegor@sbmp64.ess.sunysb.edu
Department of Geosciences       tel: +1-516-6329706 (office)
SUNY at Stony Brook                  +1-516-6328238 (lab)
New York 11794-2100                  +1-516-6328241 (secretary)
USA                             fax: +1-516-6328140