Date:      Mon, 27 May 2013 05:40:17 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Case sensitive usernames and sendmail - mystic voodoo

On Sun, 26 May 2013 21:31:09 -0600, Modulok wrote:
> >> Everything to the right of the @ is indeed case insensitive, but
> >> everything
> >> to the left might be case sensitive, depending on local policy.  This
> >> means
> >> you must preserve the case of everything to the left of the @ sign.
> >
> > According to the link provided by Erich Dollansky, FreeBSD's
> > default sendmail.cf setting of
> >
> > 	Mlocal,           P=/usr/libexec/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5
> >
> > needs to be added the "u" option to the F= parameter to preserve
> > the uppercase letters in the the left side (username) of the
> > address. Maybe this additiion is required in other cf files
> > containing Mlocal settings too? Of course it would be nice if
> > there was a corresponding setting for the mc files which the
> > cf files are usually generated from...
>
> So, best practices aside, this would be a bug in the default config?

No. A convention. :-)

> (i.e. can I celebrate my bug-finding yet?)

Depends. If it's a _desired_ convention (because people regularly
have problems with e-mail addresses and just don't care for upper
and lower case), it's a good default setting. In _your_ case, it
does not apply, because it introduces problems. So if you intend
to make a local modification, that's no problem because you _can_
configure such things. This is the power that comes by the freedom
of choice. You can celebrate this. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany