Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2016 09:31:43 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>, Lou Katz <pi@metron.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Root on USB stick

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry top post only on my phone and I'm trying to remember from a year ag=
o without my notes...

> Isn't rootfs something that we can pass through u-boot variables?=E2=80=
=8E I'm sure I've done it but I can't remember how...

Okay, that was the ftd file, sorry. :(

> I also seem to remember that if ubldr can't find the rootfs it prompts fo=
r you to enter something manually=E2=80=8E, which might be good enough for =
development purposes? Or am I imagining that? I remember the prompt, but no=
t what process launched it.

Also wrong, The prompt I am thinking of is loader looking for the
kernel: from loader(8)

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dloader&apropos=3D0&sektion=3D0&=
manpath=3DFreeBSD+10.3-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=3Ddefault&format=3Dhtml

    load [-t type] file ...
    Loads a kernel, kernel loadable module (kld), disk image, or file
    of opaque contents tagged as being of the type type.  Kernel and
    modules can be either in a.out or ELF format.  Any arguments
    passed after the name of the file to be loaded will be passed as
    arguments to that file.  Use the md_image type to make the kernel
    create a file-backed md(4) disk.  This is useful for booting from
    a temporary rootfs.  Currently, argument passing does not work
    for the kernel.

*Note that man says we cannot pass arguments to the kernel.

I would say your best bet is to use Crochet and create a new image and
tweek the kernel conf file manually.

The file is

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/conf/RPI2?view=3Dmarkup

and the line to tweek is: