Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2003 00:36:26 +0100
From:      albi@saynotomicrosoft.org
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about security updates.

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:21:14 +0000
"rotten rottie" <r0tt13@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 2) I have used gentoo in the past and am curious if there is something
> simular to emerge -up world/system -- I would like to cvs the
> ports/sys and then be able to see if anything need upgrading .. is
> this possible ?

use the handbook, it's also in /usr/share/doc/en/

here's the section you want to read :
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

> 3) Say there was a update to openssh .. which would be the proper way
> to update .. sync the sys tree and then just update ssh .. or sync the
> tree and recompile the system ? or remove the sys version and install
> the port version and update the port ?

i guess you have more than 1 option, more info on how here e.g. :
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-03:12.openssh.asc