Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:21:22 -0500
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Document for how to work with patches?

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 10:02:55AM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> Google 'diff patch tutorial'
>
> Contributing to Open Source Projects HOWTO
> http://www.kegel.com/academy/opensource.html
>
> Diff, Patch, and Friends
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1237
>
> Using diff and patch (tutorial)
> http://www.linuxtutorialblog.com/post/introduction-using-diff-and-patch-tutorial
>
> How to Prepare a Patch
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/howto/howto-patch.html
>
> How to create and use a patch in Linux
> http://www.cpqlinux.com/patch.html
>
> and many many more ...

Thanks, these are very good documents, and what I was looking for.
It would be nice to have a similar document in the FreeBSD docs somewhere,
because over time, we cannot rely on these URL's to always be valid.
Even having a FreeBSD doc which linked to the above documents
(maybe on the wiki?) would not be a bad start.

The reason I thought about this was that I have occasionally seen posts on
the FreeBSD mailing lists for people who want to submit changes,
or try new changes, but don't know how to create patches or use them.

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc@crodrigues.org