Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 1996 16:45:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        ormonde@trem.cnt.org.br (Rodrigo Ormonde)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with NIS and LINUX

> Hi.
>
>   I've configured NIS in my 2.1R FreeBSD. It'll be the NIS server for a small
> network of 5 Linux machines.
>   I've made the maps, started the daemons on the server and on the clients and
> everythink is ok. The clients can get the maps correctly, but there is a big
> problem: the password encription algorithms for Linux and FreeBSB are completely
> different. Linux uses the standard crypt based on the DES while FreeBSD uses
> crypt based on the MD5. Because of that, Linux can't verify the passwords in
> the NIS passwd map and thus nobody can log in.
>
>   Does anybody knows any solution/workaround for this problem ?
>
>   (I don't want to install FreeBSD on the client machines because they have
> only 4Mbytes of memory and a small hardisk. In this conditions, Linux runs
> better. Also, I'd like to run FreeBSD on the server because it has a better
> NFS implementation and is more stable than Linux)

I have exactly (not quite since there is not Linux but other OSes around,
OSF/1, HP-UX, Ultrix) the same problem.

A solution is to compile 'the world' using DES encryption.
(internat.freebsd.org) and
link /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.* -> /usr/lib/libdescrypt.so.*

(BTW, though I did the above I'm not yet seeing any DES encrypted
passwds in my master.passwd file). Maybe I have to reboot or even
built a new kernel?