Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:09:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> Frankly you NEED a HAL for NT or DDK specs
> for other commerical U**Xs because they won't give you the source code
> for free (or a reasonable price), and not having the specs would simply
> stop development.

Isn't this a commercial use issue?

For example, a hypothetical commercial user of the code who wants to
sell a system, won't give you the source code, and wants to make local
modifications, yet not lose the ability to use modules provided by
other commercial vendors.

We could call this hypothetical entity "Whistle"...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---