Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 02:38:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Erik H. Bakke" <erik@habatech.no>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange problem with ATA on my 164SX

Well, there seems to be no end to the madness I am able to invoke in my Alpha
system :)
This night I pulled out the graphics adapter from the box, thinking I could run
it headless for a while (after all, I have used the serial console as the
primary communication method for several months...)

Oh man, how I was wrong...
Once the card was out, the ATA driver went totally crazy.  Whenever I tried to
access my drive(s) I was instantly greeted by "lost disk contact" and friends.

After some hours of scratching my head, saying bad words and endless reboot
cycles, I put the graphics card back in, just to see what happened, and lo and
behold...  The system was back to normal again.

So, this leads to an obvious question:

Is FreeBSD supposed to be able to run headless on Alpha systems?
After all, everything worked OK, except for the ATA drives...
If it is, then this may be something to look into.