Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 19:32:07 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot happen?

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >But the questions is: how can this happen?
>
> 1. a slice table or label can override the driver's idea of the disk size.
>    This is a feature.

(Not the case.)

> 2. the frobbing of the sector size in the current sd and od is still broken.
>    It allows writing beyond the disk.  This shouldn't happen for paging.

This seems to be the problem.

> 3. some drivers don't do any bounds checking for the raw partition.  This
>    is not a problem for sd and the raw partition shouldn't be used for
>    paging.

It wasn't happening together with paging.  The last block of this disk
was assigned to my /home filesystem.  I think the error message from
the pager was due to the IO being done through mmap() (or due to the
similar effect of the merged VM/buffer cache).

> >Ain't the driver supposed
> >to limit the requests before calling the SCSI layers?  Ain't the
>
> Sort of.  SCSI drivers can probably rely on the device to do the checking.

But well, they should return a short read instead of blasting the
console with error messages, and even worse, delivering a signal to
the application.

--
cheers, J"org