Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:50:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hans Zaunere <zaunere@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Accessing /dev/klog and similar

Hello,

I'm looking to access kernel messages directly from
the kernel, and not through syslog if I can help it.

When I try to open("/dev/klog", O_RDONLY);   I get the
error "Device busy".  How can I open this file?  Or
are there any other ways of getting at this data?

When I try to open /dev/log or /var/run/log I get the
error "Operation not supported."

Basically what I want to do is "intercept" kernel
messages before they get to syslog, avoiding having to
open the disk file that syslog writes to.  Any ideas
or help on how to do this would be great.

Thank you,

Hans
zaunere@yahoo.com