Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2007 03:10:33 GMT
From:      Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@room52.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/108861: [nve] nve(4) driver on FreeBSD 6.2 AMD64 does  not work at 1Gbps with nForce4 NIC

The following reply was made to PR amd64/108861; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@room52.net>
To: Angelo Turetta <aturetta+bsd@bestunion.it>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: amd64/108861: [nve] nve(4) driver on FreeBSD 6.2 AMD64 does
     not work at 1Gbps with nForce4 NIC
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:56:21 +1100

 Hi Angelo,

 Thanks very much for the reply.

 Angelo Turetta wrote:
 > Could you please test the alternative driver mentioned at
 >
 > http://www.se.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~shigeaki/software/freebsd-nfe.html
 >
 > It's already been commited to -current, and I'd certainly hope it will be
 > MFC to 6-STABLE soon.
 >
 > Angelo Turetta

 The new driver appears to be working perfectly. I'm running it through
 some basic stress tests now, but everything so far is all good. It can
 sync at both 100baseTX and 1000baseTX. When in 100baseTX mode, I can get
 11.1 Mb/sec over scp. When in 1000baseTX I can get 24 MB/sec over scp.
 This was only transferring from a low spec desktop machine, so I think
 the machine's disk drive was the bottleneck, not the NIC.

 For the benefit of anyone else that comes across this thread and wants
 to know how to get the new driver working, here are the steps I followed
 (lines beginning with a hyphen "-" are comments, not actual shell commands):

 cd /root

 fetch http://www.se.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~shigeaki/software/nfe-20070106.tar.gz

 - You may need a different patch to the one below depending on the
 motherboard you have... this patch is the right one for my Asus A8N-E,
 but all the details are on the patch website
 http://www.se.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~shigeaki/software/freebsd-nfe.html

 fetch
 http://www.se.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~shigeaki/software/e1000phy.20061219.fbsd62.patch

 tar -xzvf nfe-20070106.tar.gz

 cp -r nfe-20070106 /usr/src/sys/dev/nfe

 cp e1000phy.20061219.fbsd62.patch /usr/src/sys/dev/mii/

 cd /usr/src/sys/dev/mii/

 patch < e1000phy.20061219.fbsd62.patch

 cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/

 - Not sure that you need to do the next step, but I thought it would be
 safer to remove the nve(4) driver from the kernel so it didn't get
 confused... you can still kldload it later if needed

 edit GENERIC

 - Comment out the line "device          nve             # nVidia nForce
 MCP on-board Ethernet Networking"

 rm -rf ../compile/GENERIC

 config GENERIC

 cd ../compile/GENERIC

 make cleandepend && make depend && make && make install

 cd /usr/src/sys/dev/nfe

 make

 make install

 shutdown -r now

 - You should now have if_nve.ko in /boot/kernel/ and you can kldload it
 using "kldload if_nfe" or load it at startup by sticking
 if_nfe_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf.

 - Good times from here on in!

 Thanks again for the help.

 Regards,