Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 11:57:37 -800
From:      "Mark L. Holloway" <mholloway@flashmail.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Subject:   4.0 Install fails..

Ok, I know I can't be going insane...

I've installed FreeBSD x86 *MANY* times on x86 and twice on Alpha (3.2) where
I just downloaded the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp, booted the floppies, entered
the correct network information, and away the install goes.. I downloaded FreeBSD
4.0 floppies for Alpha and this is what happens:

1) boot dva0 and everything loads fine
2) Select novice, set the auto partitions
3) Select 'user' install
4) Select FTP [ ftp.freebsd.org ]
5) Enter the correct network information (I'm using cable modem and done this
a dozen times..so I'm sure the settings are right)
6) Then it looks up ftp.freebsd.org and prompts me with "Last chance! ......"
and I select yes.  It then formats the hard drive and sets the partitions.

When it's ready to start downloading it says:

Couldn't open FTP connection ftp.freebsd.org: Not logged in

Ok, I know the connection to my ISP is good.. There is no firewall and I have
2 other machines here which have received FreeBSD this same way but they are
x86.  I've tried changing the setting at the main menu for FTP login to be anonymous
instead of username 'ftp' and that didn't work.  Any ideas? I've never experienced
this before.. If I didn't have a working internet connection then I wouldn't
have been able to lookup ftp.freebsd.org.  I thought maybe the FTP server was
full at ftp.freebsd.org but while I get the 'not logged in' message I can connect
fine from my other boxes.. strange!

Mark