Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:56:49 -0400
From:      "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat@peak.org>
To:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   doing first time network install

Howdy all

I'm considering getting FBSD running on my Dell i7500 laptop.  I have found
postings from others who have done this, and it sounds like an interesting
challenge.  (I do have Unix experience, just not FBSD).

I have a 30gb drive which will be partitioned:

10gb = NTFS (Win2k's C:\ program files)
10gb = NTFS (Win2k's D:\ user files)
10gb = FreeBSD

I've got a cable modem, so I was thinking about doing an FTP install to get
the latest stable version.

I understand all the bits about making the boot floppy, but this makes me a
bit nervous:

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html
> If you plan to install FreeBSD via anonymous FTP, the only things you will
need are the installation
> floppies. The installation program itself will handle anything else that
is required.

My cable modem is DHCP, and they didn't supply me with *any* information
regarding the IP of the router, etc.  Seems it all "just works" in Windows
2000.

My question is "What pieces of information will the installation program
need to get to the FTP server and begin the installation?"

Thanks
TjL

ps -- I'm on the list, so replies to either myself or the list will be seen.
Thanks!