Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:39:22 +0200 (EET)
From:      Seppo Kallio <kallio@cc.jyu.fi>
To:        multimedia@star-gate.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   * GUS PnP Pro + ATI WinTurbo + XFree + 1200*900*24 *

Hi!

We are planning to by some Pentium based micros for Unix+X workstations and
use FreeBSD in them.

We want to use tools like vic, vat, nv, sd and 24 bit colors with about
1200*900 resolution.

1. Is GUS PnP Pro a good solution for sound in/out?
2. Is ATI WinTurbo with 4M VRAM good solution? Is someone using it
   and getting 24 bit colors to the screen with about 1152*900 resolution
   (or better)?

I have a friend who did buy a ATI WinTurbo + 4M RAM but he has problems
getting about 1152*900*24 display. Is it possible using free display
drivers using any display card? Or do we have to buy commersial drivers
for X use to get this resolution and color depth?

Please, tell your opinions or own experience.

Seppo