Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:46:29 -0700
From:      Lay Tay <LTay@certicom.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow NAT firewall

Hello,

Thanks.  You're right, Raphael replied and was right-on.  My sshd was doing
reverse DNS lookup and my firewall was preventing that.  I used the "-u0"
option in the sshd startup and the problem went away.

Regards,

Lay Boon.

             Chuck Swiger
             <cswiger@mac.com>
             owner-freebsd-que         Lay Tay <LTay@certicom.com>
             stions@freebsd.or                                          cc
             g                         freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Slow NAT firewall
             09/16/2003 09:47
             AM

Lay Tay wrote:
[ ... ]
> Everything worked fine except that I noticed ssh connection takes a very
> long time.  When I use PUTTY or WinSCP on a windows machine to connect to
> my internal machine, the authentication takes a very long time.  WinSCP
> will alway timeout on the first try, when  I hit "retry", the
> authentication goes through.
>
> This does not happen if I insert a "pass everything" rule in ipfw.

Sounds a lot like a DNS timeout.  I'm not sure your rules for port 53 are
doing
exactly the right thing; where does DNS traffic go when you do this SSH
connection?

--
-Chuck