Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 11:19:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Joe <flaboy@gnv.fdt.net>
Cc:        Anders Hanssen <andersbsd@bacchus.elanders.no>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuring sendmail to be more anonymous.

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Joe wrote:

> On Sat, 1 May 1999, Anders Hanssen wrote:
>
> > Hi, when I telnet to port 25 this happens:
> >
> > % telnet localhost 25
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.wax.nu.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220 bodway.wax.nu ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.1; Sat, 1 May 1999 12:28:07 +0200
> > (CEST)
> > helo wax.nu
> > 250 bodway.wax.nu Hello localhost.wax.nu [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
> > quit
> > %
> >
> > What I want to do is to prevent sendmail from telling that much. Does anyone
> > know if it is possible, and where I can set this?

I'm curious, why would this be helpful?  If they got to your site, they
have your IP number, and if they have your IP number, they can use DNS
to get your site name.  Why stop sendmail from sending that out?

I'm not being fascetious, I'm not a security whiz, and I'm honestly
curious.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).