Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:39:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
Subject:   Re: Does emulators/wine really need gcc 3.3?

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>> Wanted to install wine yesterday and found that it's configured to
>> depend on the gcc 3.3 port. However, commenting out that dependency also
>> leads to a successful build with 5.1's compiler:
> From the commit log for ports/emulators/wine/Makefile:
>
>  revision 1.150
>  date: 2003/10/17 15:37:35;  author: gerald;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -4
>  Update to the 20031016 snapshot of Wine after we skipped the previous one
>  which was completely broken on FreeBSD.
>  Simplify post-build as I moved some part upstream and require GCC 3.3 as
>  GCC 2.95 suffers from all sorts of threading/libraries issues. (GCC 3.2
>  also seems fine, but the ports collection requires us to request a concrete
>  version.)

Thanks for pointing that out, Erik!  It seems, I _do_ have some users
of this port, after all. :-)

I'll add a note on that to the Makefile.

Miguel (et al), while GCC 3.2 probably will continue to work, my nightly
builders and checks before committing an update to the port only exercise
GCC 3.3 both on 4.8-STABLE and 5.1-CURRENT, so it's probably safer in the
long run to use that.

Gerald

PS: If you got a mail bounces, this is because pooles.rima-tde.net has
been listed as one of about eight spam-friendly/inactive providers on
the mail server I'm using.
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/