Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:30:15 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Stephen Hansen <stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Intellimice?

Stephen Hansen wrote:

>     My understanding is that FreeBSD doesn't support USB mice -- am I right?
> If so, it will work with the USB-to-PS/2 converter, I hope? Beyond that --
> what features of the mouse will work (or, more importantly, not work? )

I can't give you specifics, or someone will scream and flog :-), but I
can discuss the issue...

FreeBSD *does* support USB mice. And I am pretty sure that this means
all USB mice. And X does support the scroll wheel, although it is up the
the individual applications to use it. Qt-2 has methods for wheel mice,
and I believe GTK does as well. I've also seen stand-alone wheel mice
libraries for the straight-X and console guys to use.

This means that a Qt-2 program (LinCVS, QCad or QBrew, for example) will
recognize the wheel mouse and scroll the (focused) scrollbars
appropriately. The wheel movement is translated by Qt into a scrollbar
movement event instead of a mouse event. I'm pretty sure GTK works
similarly. I don't have a wheel mouse or I would quickly test it.

If the IntelliMouse (who comes up with these names!) uses standard mouse
protocols, (and the MS hardware division has been good about this, even
if their software division has not) then there should be no problem.

If the FreeBSD sysmouse "driver" doesn't work in X for that mouse,
fiddle about with other mouse types in XF86Setup until you find one that
works.

David