Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:04:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@qubesoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB/umass in addition to "other" SCSI

>From n_hibma@qubesoft.com  Sun Jul 22 05:15:49 2001
>Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:16:24 +0100 (BST)
>To: Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
>cc: <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
>Subject: Re: USB/umass in addition to "other" SCSI
>
>> >usbd doesn't handle umass (anymore).
>>
>> Huh? It does for me(!)  No usbd, no zip250 recognition; yes
>> usbd, yes zip250...  OS is 4.3-stable as of 15 July 2001.
>
>usbd is calling the kernel and enabling it to enumerate the bus when a
>device appears. Once we have kernel threads usbd will be no longer needed.
>
>What I meant with attaching is to run camcontrol rescan. The umass
>driver does that internally. Or at least, it should.

Not happening here...  No usbd, no device detect.  OS is:

FreeBSD myname.my.domain 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #19: Sun Jul 22 22:37:49 CDT 2001     root@myname.my.domain:/usr/src/sys/compile/LOCAL  i386

With usbd, things work just fine, at least with the Iomega drive.

Camcontrol doesn't detect it either, unless previously
detected/attached by usbd.

>> What's Still Not Working is an Olympus USB digital camera.
>> It is supposed to appear as a SCSI device with a MS-DOS
>> filesystem (& indeed does with Linux, with kernel 2.4.x).
>>
>> Try that with FreeBSD & not only does it not "mount" but it
>> crashes (freezes) the OS, without even so much as a
>> panic/dump/trace.  :(
>
>Yes, the ATAPI devices I have not been able to get working yet, due to
>time constraints.

ATAPI?  Huh?  But aren't these SCSI devices?  The camera
gets detetected ok (at least if usbd is up).  Problem
happens if you try to mount() iti; very bad lock-up/crash.  :(

-kc