Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 09:48:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, tlambert@primenet.com, kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk, beng@lcs.mit.edu, dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore problem (was: Network problem with 2.2.6-RELEASE)

> > I've never even *owned* a IDE disk, let alone used one on my system so I
> > cannot comment on what this might do with DLT drives.
>
>   Well, IDE is automatically not using the SCSI bus, so there is no
> problem there.  So if they are reasonable drives, it should work.  I get
> about 5MB/s filesystem performance, which isn't great, but more than
> enough to keep a DLT4000 busy.

The potential problem there is that it's using the IDE bus.

In general, I do not own IDE hardware, and I  do not have the
problems you are seeing.

Neither does anyone else who doesn't own IDE hardware.

The real question here is whether or not you can eliminate the IDE
as a cause of the problem.

I *know* that John has done a lot of work on the IDE driver; much
of this work is in -current, not -stable, and I doubt it has been
seriously tested with all possible hardware.

Can you copy the disk to a SCSI drive (with TAR, if you insist),
and try the dump/restore from there?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---