Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:05:52 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
Cc:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>, Gregory Carvalho <GregoryC@stcinc.com>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports and applications

Just how would you go about running telnet on port 80?

Bill Swingle wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 03:07:39PM -0600, Nick Rogness wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Gregory Carvalho wrote:
> >
> > > Using ipfw I am allowing port 80 through the wall (could you imagine if
> > > I denied the good people of Gotham their web fix). Suppose I deny
> > > telnet, but some external server has its telnet server configured for
> > > port 80. Is there a method to prevent the telnet session from operating?
> >
> >       Why would anyone run telnet on port 80?
> >
> >       Is this an incoming or outgoing telnet session?  I'm assuming
> >       outoing telnet sessions. The only thing I can think of is running
> >       the machines through a proxy server.
>
> Once, while working for a rather fascist employer that denied outgoing
> connections on ports 22/23 I set up telnet, then later sshd, on port 80
> on my home machine. They employers couldnt do without their web access
> it seems :) I think this is what the original writer is trying to avoid.
> :)
>
> -Bill
>
> --
> -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@dub.net  - unfurl@freebsd.org - bill@cdrom.com
> -=| "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers" Pablo Picasso

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for
        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for
        1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101
The above email Copyright (C) 1999 Laurence Berland
All rights reserved