Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:37:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Scott Pilz <tech@squid.tznet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Heres a good one . . .

	Aright . .

	You have three FreeBSD Machines . . one is a non-dell, custom made
.. dual power supplies (hot swapable) etc. etc.

	The other two are identical Dell Poweredges, single power supply,
etc.

	All three boxes are on FreeBSD 4.3-Stable. The custom box will
"reboot" every few weeks (10-20 days or so). So will one of the
PowerEdges. I check the logs -- nothing unusual. No user was on during any
of the reboots, it simply shows "restart" in 'last'. The third dell,
running the EXACT same hardware/software, doesn't do this. Nor do 10 other
FreeBSD boxes in another building (and different city).

	Now, the way I look at it, this can only be caused by a few
things: Faulty hardware, someone shutting down the box (pulling the plug
physically) or bad power/lack of power and the box restarting (the two
boxes that do this are on the same ups, however the other dell box, and
about 7 NT machines are on the same ups with no problems).

	I'm at a complete loss of actions - it cannot be bad hardware - I
don't buy it. Not with two boxes, each having brand new hardware, doing
the same thing. Someone shutting down the boxes physically is impossible,
security is too tight at around 2 am in the morning (many reboots are in
the middle of the night, but not limited to this) . . bad power doesn't
make any sense either, because why would all these other boxes not have a
problem but these two would.

	So, if anyone has ever heard of or seen this type of behavior
before, let me know. I'm dying to figure it out. Or for that matter,
anything I may be able to check to give me more clues.

Thanks
Scott