Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:52:23 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Robin P. Blanchard" <Robin_Blanchard@gactr.uga.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: install world on 486]

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 10:51:15AM -0400, Robin P. Blanchard wrote:
>> the reason CPUTYPE was commented out was because i'd gotten the
>> same error while having CPUTYPE set and seemed to remember someone
>> on the list saying something about CPUTYPE=i486 giving him the
>> same errors for 'strip'.
>>
>> so CPUTYPE or not CPUTYPE, i get the same error.

>Without CPUTYPE it's i386 isn't it? I have /usr/obj on a CD, it was built
>on a i686 machine (actualy a buggy Cyrix) without the CPUTYPE option in
>make.conf. Later I have installed this on a i586 and on old Compaq with
i486
>processor -- didn't have any problems...

My mistake, yes, with no CPUTYPE it's i386.  However, if hardware was the
problem, I doubt you'd get signal 4 - you'd be getting signal 10 or 11 (bus
error or segmentation fault), commonly triggered by bad memory.

Between builds are you removing /usr/obj?  If not, some stuff won't get
rebuilt and thus you will end up with some binaries that are compiled for
i386 (no CPUTYPE) and some for i686 (if you did a build with CPUTYPE=i686 at
some point.)

--
Matt Emmerton