Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:45:47 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NFS server using two NICs

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>>Anyone running freebsd as an NFS server, sharing data on multiple NICs?
>>
>>I have an odd problem (in the PR database even) that I can't solve.
>>Matt Dillon was helping me quite a bit, but I think he is bored of me. :D
>>
>>Just trying to figure out how to fix it so I can get rid of Solaris on
>>my big fileservers and go to FreeBSD.
>

> It would help if you gave a URL into the PR database for your
> problem report, if you are going to reference it this way.

Right you are:

It's PR# 35151:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=misc/35151

> E.g. is this the multipath problem, where some NFS clients do
> not admit the possibility of equivalence between the source
> address they are expecting for a response, and the actual
> source address from which the response originates, etc.?  Or
> is it some other problem?

It's a different problem than that - although that is an annoying
problem - but easily worked around (and I understand why "it is so").

The PR describes the problem in a fair amount of detail, but basically
my NFS server's nfsd processes shoot to 100% cpu usage as soon as a
solaris nfs client connects to it on both NICs.

Eric