Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:27:56 -0500
From:      Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
To:        JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh install on gmirror'ed disks?

JoaoBR wrote:
> On Friday 03 March 2006 00:01, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>
>> Because most Linux distributions have had this feature for a while now.
>> It's no secret that our installer blows. It gets the job done for a
>> basic install, provided you know its quirks, and thats it.
>>

> I don't think that having or not a raid option at install time is classifying
> the installer as behind nor I think it is important. Freebsd's installer
> probably lacks a nice look but on the other side it is clear and direct and
> you get without lots of questions and blabla the system up and running in
> 5-10 minutes what certainly is straight forward and not behind.

Well, thats your opinion, which i doubt many people share.

> The only advantage I can see is when you really want raid at install time and
> that definitly is not usual.

What planet are you from? It's very usual. You setup RAID before you
copy data to the array, not the other way around.

> Even if *your* opinion is that Freebsd is not intended for average users it is
> used by thousends of them.

I seriously doubt they don't know what RAID is.

> Setting up raid with gmirror on FBSD is as easy as dd'ing an image to a floppy
> disk so I do not see where you wast your time - still less since you do not
> need to reinstall the OS again. So who is confused here is you.

You fail to see the point, please don't get involved on this topic any
more. I didn't ask to debate the above advantages, with people that
don't have a clue what they are talking about.