Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:30:51 -0700
From:      Tim Hayes <Tim_Hayes@znyx.com>
To:        "'freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Major Device Number for High Availability Ethernet Driver

Greetings Hackers,

We are in the process of releasing a FreeBSD v 3.2 Ethernet driver that =
detects link failures and executes failovers, supports Cisco's FEC =
trunking, and system-to-system trunking.  To support these features, =
some configuration is required...the configuration utility requires a =
"/dev/zrm" device with a major character device #.

The driver (unfortunately a binary only release) also needs to know the =
major device #.

We would greatly appreciate some advice on which device # to use and how =
to let our driver know which one has been assigned.

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ253.html says we can use character device =
# 32 - ... what if someone else is already using it..don't these have to =
be unique ?

/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/majors.i386 says 200-255 are available for "local =
use" ...
is there a way a configuration utility can determine the next available =
?
is there a way my driver can tell which # is used for our "/dev/zrm" =
character device ?

( the driver uses "cdevsw_add( )" to register routines for the device - =
major dev # is required )

Advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Tim Hayes
ZNYX Corporation