Date:      Wed, 04 May 2005 14:03:15 +0200
From:      Ragnar Lonn <raglon@packetfront.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual network stacks in FreeBSD?

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Ragnar Lonn wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Does anyone know if virtual network stack support (as implemented at
>> http://www.tel.fer.hr/zec/vimage/) is on the roadmap for future
>> FreeBSD releases?
>

> that depends on who you are talking to :-)
> the problems are not with the concept of virtual network stacks
> but with how you make them virtual and still support loadable modules
> and protocols.
> It is theoretically possible but it requires that there be an
> infrastructure to allow
> loadble modules to link into and out of exisiting virtual worlds.
>
> What Marco did is very good but it is limited to those modules that
> are compiled in in
> that manner.
> I would like to do it but the scope just keeps growing when you look
> into what it
> would require.
> Especially in 5.x/6.x where the emphasis has been in making more and
> more of
> the system loadable.

Ok, here is a dumb question!

Would it be possible to have multiple network stack support available as
a kernel
compile option that, if enabled, disabled other functionality that
conflicted with it?

I would guess that few people need to have multiple network stacks on their
systems and that those who do might be able to accept the loss of other
functionality to get this feature.

  /Ragnar