Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:14:15 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /root default permisions

On 2004-09-15 11:24, Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:
>* Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>:
>>On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:36:59PM +0200, Martin Vana wrote:
>>> I installed FBSD 5.3 Beta 3 - Default install, and as a regular user
>>> I can 'cat /root/.cshrc' or any other file in admin's directory?
>>> is it a bug?
>>
>> No, that's not wrong.  The /root directory should be mode 755, which
>> means anyone can chdir to it, or list the contents.
>
> s/should/is/
>
> Is there any reason why it should be like this?

It's your responsibility as the owner of the account to ensure that no
sensitive information should be stored in /root in world-readable files.
Regardless of the permissions of /root as a directory you can chmod any
subdirectory or file to whatever you feel suits your needs.

Why then would it be a problem that /root has 0755 permissions?

- Giorgos