Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:47:34 -0700
From:      David Bushong <david@bushong.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum crash on multi -> single -> multiuser

Hello,

I've had this happen twice and wanted to check whether this is a bug or
just something I'm not supposed to be doing.

I'm setting up a machine, and occasionally want to do some configuration
tasks, so I drop to single-user ("shutdown now") then when I'm done, resume
multi-user with ^D.

This works...most of the time.  Twice now, however, I've had panics like shown
below.  (Actually, the first time it didn't even reboot).

I'm running: 4.5-STABLE #1: Sat Apr  6 23:20:48 PST 2002  cvsupped
Apr 6 19:39 PST.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

--David Bushong

--------8<---------------8<---------------8<---------------------------------

#^D
vinum: no additional drives found
** no drives found: No such file or directory
Skipping disk checks ...

fault virtual address   = 0x2c
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc016e14e
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xd2ae9d40
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xd2ae9d40
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 61655 (umount)
interrupt mask          = bio
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks...

fault virtual address   = 0x2c
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc016e14e
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xd2ae9a6c
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xd2ae9a6c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 61655 (umount)
interrupt mask          = bio
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 20h38m5s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
Rebooting...