Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:47:08 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Mateusz =?iso-8859-15?b?SsSZZHJhc2lr?= <imachine@toya.net.pl>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-6-BETA3 broken with ports/audio/aureal-kmod; ports/graphics/linux_dri not working.

Mateusz J=C4=99drasik <imachine@toya.net.pl> wrote:

> Also, the linux_dri port is utterly broken on FreeBSD-6 when using radeon
> cards.
>
> Due to the late improvements by anholt towards a better radeon card suppo=
rt
> for dri, the drm kernel module radeon.ko /in my case, built into the kern=
el/
> no longer works with terribly old dri libs.
>
> The solution I would best see here is bumping
> emulators/linux_base-suse-9.3 as
> default linux compat, updating the unhappy ports to play nicely with such=
 an
> upgrade, and using xorg-dri drivers for linux_dri compatible with the
> xorg-libs avaliable with emulators/linux_base-suse-9.3.
>
> I would gladly help doing that, as I am a little more familiar with ports
> hacking rather than kernel hacking - far from perfect with it tho ;-)

As the person which changed the default linux base from 7.x to 8.0: it's no=
easy to switch the default linux_base port
(OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=3Dsuse-9.3 in make.conf to test it yourself), but
you need at least one full ports build run. This is the "I'm lucky" case.

Most probably you need 3-5 full port build runs until everyting which worke=
before works after the update too. But the ports tree is already tagged for
6.0 and the cluster is building the packages for every architecture.

I also don't think we should switch the default such short before a release
without important reasons (like the security reason which was the cause of
the change from 7.x to 8.0). Luckily I had much of the work for the 7.x ->
8.0 transition done already (several hours spread over several months), but
Kris and I spend several hours at Christmas to get it into a shape which we
could ship.

If you have a newer linux_dri version which works with linux_base-8, we can
update the port and ask portmgr if they can update the release-packages.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7