Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:41:43 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
To:        "Derrick T. Woolworth" <coeus@servetheweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link DFE-650TX PCMCIA

-On [20010110 01:35], Derrick T. Woolworth (coeus@servetheweb.com) wrote:
>I'm running 4.1.1-RELEASE on my laptop - a Toshiba Satellite 2545CDS
>(PIII333 with 128MB RAM).
>
>When I boot, my pccard slots report <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on
>pcic0 for pccard0 and pccard1 (I'm assuming this means these are lousy
>pcmcia slots?)

Warner, is this still the indication that the PC Card support was not
yet up to par?

>I'm using a D-Link DFE-650TX PCMCIA NIC - which is recognized fine as ed1
>on IRQ 9 mem 0xd0000.  I get a link light after booting up, but no other
>lights (10/100 or half/full duplex light).  When I try to map an ip:
>
>ifconfig ed1 inet 209.83.199.21 netmask 0xffffff00
>
>The kernel immediately reports /dernel: ed1: device timeout
>
>and it seems that the card is dead.

Read ed(4).

This probably indicates that the IRQ's are botched.

You could try to update to 4.2-STABLE as I know Warner Losch [cc:'d] has
added a lot of new support for PCMCIA and PC Card.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          VIA Net.Works The Netherlands
BSD: Technical excellence at its best  Network- and systemadministrator