Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2014 06:11:40 +0000
From:      Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@ntlworld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No Xorg mouse running 10.1 as a qemu guest on linux.

Hi,

 I'm normally a linux user - specifically beyond linuxfromscratch
(BLFS), and in a previous life I guess I must have been *really* bad,
because I've ended up taking responsibility for BLFS's texlive
issues (initially, our 'from source' build was not building
everything, particularly asy, biber, and xindy).  As part of that I
created some test scripts to check if what I was doing with the
"modern" (read that mostly as "UTF-8") parts of texlive worked, and
now I'm trying to make them more-generally useful (in 2014, context
has had "issues", building xindy from-source did not work on my first
attempt, and my initial use of biber-1.8 with perl-5.20 was
problematic).  Now that I have qemu working, I guessed that FreeBSD
would be a useful test to make my scripts portable.  I've now got
them running on your system in qemu, but I cannot use Xorg to run a
PDF viewer because my mouse is not working.

 So:

1. Is there any secret to getting a mouse working in 10.1 in Xorg
under qemu ?  I've tried various things, including building vmmouse
and adding appropriate xorg.conf lines to force that, but it made no
difference.

2. A subsidiary question - have you guys changed /bin/sh in 10.1 ?
All the documentation google finds suggests you are using a POSIX
/bin/sh, probably the almquist shell [ I was unable to install the
documentation, I guess that the time I was trying to do that (the
small hours in this county / late in the USA) was perhaps not a good
time ], but all my attempts to use what are apparently appropriate
constructs, such as 'export LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8' and setting
variables to the result of a subshell, such as VAR=$(command arg)
failed - but using csh-style constructs seemed to work.

3. Using 'pkg' I've installed (amongst other things), xfce, Xorg
(xfce did not pull in 'startx' as a dependency, which surprised me)
and the supposedly full texlive (in practice, no asy, no biber, no
xindy, and context [ MkIV ] on x86_64 is broken - similar to some
linux distros).  I see that along the way I've acquired
/usr/local/bin/bash [4.3.30] which is good and lets me invoke my
configure sript.  But is bash a common thing to find on FreeBSD, or
did I just get lucky ? (or 'unlucky', I suppose, if you do not like
the GPL).

TIA

ĸen [ since FreeBSD seems not especially keen on UTF-8, read that as
'ken' if you get something like '?en' : I _like_ obsolete
greenlandic letters ;) ]