Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 19:12:29 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        vazquez@iqm.unicamp.br, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD problems

Gary Palmer stands accused of saying:

> This is weird ... as far as I know, Sun CD's use 512 byte sectors for
> their transfers, whereas normal CD's use 2048 byte sectors... I'm
> surprised it worked at all.

Older Sun systems required CD's that used 512-byte sectors to _boot_ from,
however later SunOS and all Solaris versions used either.

Newer Sun boot firmware knows how to soft-set sector sizes.

MS-DOS' MSCDEX chokes on drives that don't run 2048-byte sectors.

FreeBSD doesn't give a damn.  This used to bite me when I was moving CD
drives around; you'd have it set to 512 for SunOS installs, drop it back
on the BSD box, all would work, then drop to DOS to do something
reprehensible and argh! the CD no work 8(  Unnerving.