Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:56:36 +0200
From:      Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
To:        'Philip Hallstrom' <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Windows 2000 co-existing with FreeBSD?

> Hi -
> 	(I've searched the lists and found nothing so here goes...)
>
> I've dual booted before with win98/freebsd without problems, but win2k
> seems a bit different...  I've got a 10GB drive with 2GB and 8GB
> partitions (in that order).  I installed win2k on the 8GB
> part (it also
> installed some files on the 2GB part -- ntldr, etc...).   I
> did it this
> way to avoid the 8GB boundary.
>
> According to win2k everything I do is on "D:".

not quite "everything":  you still have the first 2GB under a partition
named "C:" - where ntldr and other winboot stuff resides.

according with my experiences, at the install of an nt/win2k sys, it
try to fill ALL the partitions it can see:  that is, even if you said
it to install on "D:", it still put some files on "C:", because from
there it "knows" how to boot (is that some of the m$soft's policy,
something like "once you installed, you can't get rid of it ?!  I guess
it is ...)

> Today I decided to try installing FreeBSD... so I put in the
> boot disks
> and re-typed the partition, wrote it, installed the boot

hehe .. you destroyed it's "C:" partition ... you made it *very* angry :)

> manager.  Then I
> quit cause I needed to get back into windows for work (*sigh*) and
> couldn't.  the boot manager didn't see anything but the
> FreeBSD partition.
>
> Well, after mucking around a lot I got rid of the boot
> partitition, but
> still no windows 2000.  I finally booted the CD in rescue mode and
> formatted C: (2GB) and copied over the handful of files it
> needed.  Now
> win2k boots.

lucky you :)

> Anyway, a kind of scary experience :)

yeah, i know ...

> So... can someone tell me how to get the two to co-exist?
> And is it going
> to even be possible to do it this way or am I going to need
> to put win2k
> first, then freebsd?  Also, once I do this, win2k will think it's on
> "C:" won't it?  What all will that mess up since it now thinks it's on
> "D:"?
>
> Thanks!

well, i don't see any easy solution for your situation.  you can do 2
things:

1.  backup your data, and reinstall win2k.  make sure that you don't have
more than one "visible" (fat/ntfs) partition when you install it.
you can install win2k first (let's say, a 7.9 GB partition), and FreeBSD
second,
or you can install BSD first, install win2k second, and (re)install some
boot
manager so that you can boot BSD too.

2. get a second harddisk, and install FreeBSD on it.

stefan