Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 19:06:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brett L. Hawn" <blh@nol.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Stephen Fisher <lithium@cia-g.com>
Subject:   Re: Adduser program in C

On Fri, 24 May 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Stephen Fisher wrote:
>
> > I would like to heavily modify an adduser program, however the
> > distribution one in FreeBSD is in Perl.  I don't do Perl.  I would like
> > to write one in C but was wondering if anyone has done this before?
>
> Rewriting something from scratch for the only reason that _you_ don't
> know about the programming language it has been written in, i would
> consider unkind to the original author.  (After all, Perl's one of the
> most used scripting languages of the world, nothing totally unknown.)
>
> To get me right: there might be several valid reasons for why you want
> to rewrite adduser, and even for why you wanna rewrite it in something
> else than Perl.  But these reasons should be discussed before, and the
> author is also here and listening and available, so he should at least
> be asked for his opinion as well.

Just to toss my 2 cents in I don't see how it would possibly be 'unkind' to
the author. There are a fair number of basic scripts/programs that I've
re-written to fit my needs simply because I wanted something more/different
than what existed. Now were he wanting to replace the existing adduser in
the fbsd distribution I would see that as what you're saying, but for
personal use I just can't agree.

Add to which I can't say that I much care for the perl version of adduser
mysel, mind you its one of the few things I find perl usefull but beings
that I don't much care for perl in general I've taken to writing mine in C
as well.

Brett