Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:40:48 +0900 (JST)
From:      hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        dlhodge@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: Trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE of PAO: Help]

In article <3400E973.24D2@ix.netcom.com>
dlhodge@ix.netcom.com writes:

>> >The problem I am having is that patch start it returns a error message
>> >involving something about a "diff" and then the patch program is
>> >requesting the name of the file I am to patch to. Do you know what file
>> >this program is looking for? I've tried feeding it the kernel which
>> >resides off of the root directory: "/kernel". Unfortunately, all I get
>> >for my efforts is an error message and an error file: "kernel.rej".

Do you really have the source files in /usr/src/sys ?
According to your mail, the only reasons I can imagine are:

o You don't have /usr/src/sys,
o Your /usr/src/sys is empty,
o Some files in /usr/src/sys is missing,
o The souce files in /usr/src/sys is broken, or
o You forgot -p0 option of patch command

Hmm...??

--
HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi
Network Technology Center