Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:59:16 -0500
From:      Brian Martinez <marti259@no.spam.wanted.pilot.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports question

Hi all,
I know some of you will want me to ask this on freebsd-questions, but
I asked once on the newsgroup and didn't get much response.  Seeing as
that was a general forum, I thought I might ask a little more
specialized forum.

I'm just curious to know what people do about ports when there's an
update for the port (of after CVSup'ing the ports tree).    For example,
if you have the apache_1.3.9-modssl port installed, what do you do when
you see the apache_1.3.14-modssl-latest-build port is released?

Generally I remove the 'work' directory, followed by a 'make deinstall'
and remove the files out of /usr/ports/distfiles.  But it seems like
there would be an easier way.  In the Apache case, I would need to make
a backup of my $apachedir/htdocs before the 'make deinstall' if I were
serving important information.  Sometimes a backup could be huge,
depending on what someone is serving.

What do people do on live/production systems?  One fella said he does it
on 'updates' on a test system, then duplicates the filesystem over to
the live/production one.  What if a test system is not available?  Is
something like a 'make upgrade' feasible?  In all honesty, I'm not
having any huge issues with this, it's just been on my mind lately, and
today my curiousity peaked :)

Thanks for any answer(s),
./brm
-- Serving with Power :)