Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:58:44 +0200
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@freebsd-services.com>
Cc:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, alan@clegg.com, luigi@FreeBSD.org, nsayer@FreeBSD.org, ryand-bsd@zenspider.com, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Your change to in.c to limit duplicate networks is causing trouble

As Brian Somers wrote:

> The code now avoids adding a host route if the interface address is
> 0.0.0.0, and always treats a failure to add a host route as fatal
> (previously, it masked EEXIST for some reason - I guessed because it
> was trying to handle address re-assignment, but that works ok with
> this patch).

I think that will be fatal for the sppp case with dynamic IP
address negotiation.  We use 0.0.0.0 as the local IP address
for the unnegotiated PPP link then, with the idea that it's
still possible to route through the interface anyway.  For
dial-on-demand PPP links (like on ISDN), the routed packets
will then trigger the dialout event.  In the course of the
PPP negotiations, an actual local IP address will be negotiated
and assigned, but we first need some packets to pass through the
PPP layer in order to trigger this.

Perhaps it would still be possible to use per-interface routes
even after your change (-iface isp0 etc.), but currently, a number
of documents describe that it's possible to use local address
0.0.0.0 and still get normal routing behaviour for those links.