Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 01:48:23 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "Keith McDonnell" <KMCD@ie.ibm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing on a thinkpad 560

> I am having trouble installing freebsd 42 on an IBM thinkpad 560 with
> 133mhz / 40mb ram .

I had one of these boxes, and it ran great.

> 1.   cannot boot from pccard cdrom ( fair enough )

You won't be able to boot from it, but if it's a supported CD-ROM, you
can use it for installation after you boot from the floppy.

> 2.   cannot boot from serial modem . (  phase deflink not connected error )
> . Tried this on my desktop box with similar
>      results . Tried to manually configure ppp settings in term mode - no
> luck either .

Huh?  How do you boot from a modem?

> 3.   cannot boot from floppy ( ibm external floppy proprietry format )

The floppy drive also supports standard floppies as well.

> 4 .  no ether network setup so NFS is out

Then you'll either need to built a *LOT* of floppies or use the CD.  If
the CD isn't supported, I'd suggest getting a network card, cause
otherwise you're going to go nuts.

> To make matters worse a hasty commit formatted the hard drive but didnt
> install the os . Therefore I have a machine with the no boot loader prompt
> .
>
> I have a laplink cable , would it be possible to boot from my desktop box
> ( fbsd42release ) over the plip ?

No, you can't network boot without a minimal OS installed.

Nate