Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:55:32 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        JacobRhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: good compact flash/smart card readers?

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:30:46AM +1100, JacobRhoden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im about to buy a usb cf card reader (i want to be able to write to cf cards)
> does anyone here have one they would reccomend which works well in FreeBSD?

SanDisk ImageMate, P/N SDDR-31, works exceptionally well. Just start
usbd and plug it in. Dmesg will say something like this when it appears:

umass0: SanDisk Corporation ImageMate CompactFlash USB, rev 1.10/0.09, addr 2
umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <SanDisk ImageMate II 1.30> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 650KB/s transfers
da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

Only "problem" here is when you have SCSI drives which are not "wired"
in your kernel configuration. The USB SanDisk may pre-empt da0 on boot
so your /etc/fsck is out of kilter. BTDT. SCSI disks needed to be wired
in place anyhow but I've managed to go 8 years without.

I thought it was a 1.0 MB/sec device on my Macintosh or somewhere. Maybe
with a different USB interface under FreeBSD? Plugged into my G4's
keyboard and asking what Apple System Profiler says, it only says,
"Device Speed: Full." What ever that means.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net