Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:47:14 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Media Packages Vs. Ports

Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:41 AM, <vrwmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> =A0Is it possible to take a port, make a package of it and put it in the
>>> packages directory of my own media?
>>
>> Sure it's easy.=A0 When build a port you can issue a make package comman=
d, or
>> you can use pkg_create to create packages from installed ported.=A0 A co=
mmon
>> approach to this is build all your updates in a jail, make packages of t=
hem,
>> then delete package from the host and install the newly built ones from =
the
>> jail.=A0 Very small, if any downtime.=A0 You can use the jail to create =
pkg's
>> for a custom repository too.
>
> I've created the package and copied it to the networked media.  How do
> I edit the INDEX file so that it knows how to get the file?

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I think what you want is just
to set the PACKAGEROOT variable.  If you want to create your own install
disks, the release(7) manual will point you in the right direction.  If
you're doing a network install, you need to lay out the package
directories the same way as the install media.