Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:32:16 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Please keep in mind that if, in our haste, we import a compiler that
> > puts instability into FreeBSD, then we've drunk poison.  The feature
>
> A legit concern, but also realize that all of us are talking about
> 4.0 here - the new compiler would be an issue we'd have up to a full
> year on before the product it's in goes mainstream.  If that's not enough
> time to work out the compiler issues after switching, I can't imagine
> when we WILL have a better time to try and do this then.  Progress
> entails some pain, and if we're unwilling to suffer any at all then
> progress ceases entirely.

	My 2cents...waiting a year before it goes mainstream is really
going to hurt things.  There appear to be more and more projects coming
out that are relying on features existent in the C++ in egcs that gcc
can't support.  MICO (corba) is one of them...KDE appears to be more
towards it with some of its applications...

	Bringing it into 4.0-CURRENT is great, and debugging it there, but
getting it rolled into the 3.x tree should, IMHO, be considered long
before 4.x gets released...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org