Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:42:23 +0100
From:      Ian J Hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cdrecord problems to record 1 CD

Very late on this thread I know, but I just noticed this strange feature
which may be of interest. I dual boot with win95 (It's for the kids,
honest). Figuring FreeBSD is closer to Unix than Windows, I connected the
block size jumper on my SCSI cd writer to the turbo switch on my case. Thus
allowing me to change the jumper setting before booting  I find that with
the block size jumper open I can boot from a _local_release_ CD.  With it
shorted (512 byte blocks) I cannot. (I also have to set the BIOS to boot
from A: as the SCSI BIOS swaps the CDRW drive letter to A: No SCSI boot
option in this BIOS.)

Booting from my ATAPI CD reader is also something of a lottery. I'm still
investigating this.

My hardware is:
    AIR 54TPI M/B with on board AIC7880UW SCSI
    YAMAHA CDRW6416S    (SCSI RW)
    LG CRD-8322B                    (IDE/ATAPI 32X reader)

Hope this is useful. Can someone tell me if the block size jumper should be
on or off?

Cheers in advance

ian

ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk